What Bobby Does :
- Act as project engineer for the SafeLight Raleigh Program. This is the Red Light Camera program for the City of Raleigh.
- 8 months
- Before this position I worked as a Traffic Signal System Analyst working with the City of Raleigh signal system database.
On the Job :
- I oversee the day to day operations for the SafeLight Program. This includes managing the installation of cameras, reviewing citations for compliance with the business rules, performing analyses for the program, and managing contractor relationships. I also need to periodically communicate with the public and media about the operation of the program. I further assist with budget and revenue projections.
- Mostly accounting and statistics
- Trying to perform true observational before-and-after studies for crash data. The hardest part is trying to model human driving behavior and how it affects the crash analysis.
- I received my undergraduate degree for Mathematics from NCSU in 2001. I am currently working towards a Master of Civil Engineering also at NCSU.
- The courses most specific to my current job would have to be MA421 (Intro to Probability) and ST 371/372
- Leadership, people, budget and accounting, and the ability to adapt.
- Make your own path.
- Mathematics provided a strong foundation for me. While I mostly use Statistics now, the strict analysis skills gained from my B.S. in Mathematics (e.g. MA 425) provided me the opportunity to pursue other avenues when wanted. Mathematics is the base science in the universe. If it can be mastered, then there are no limits on a person’s potential for achievement. The skill set that this major produces can be transferred to any other field